FAA Training



FAA license advantages:

  • Recognized worldwide, highly regarded and ICAO compliant
  • FAA pilots & mechanics can be found worldwide
  • User friendly rules and regulations with several cost advantages
  • Instrument Rating designed for Private and Airline pilot alike
    • (Only 1 knowledge test & 1 practical test)
  • Less bureaucracy and more practical thinking throughout
  • FAA license never expires and can be replaced at minimal cost and effort
    • ($2 currently, online process)
  • Online publications, books and reference materials available for free
    • (Currently includes charts & approach plates)

Frequently Asked Questions regarding FAA Flight Training and Operations

Obtaining a FAA License

There are several options to convert any ICAO license to FAA, of which the most common are:

1. FAA PPL based on your foreign license.

This is commonly known as a "piggyback" or "61.75" license: Paperwork exercise that can be completed without visit to the USA. If your ICAO license includes an IR this rating may be added after completion of the Instrument Rating Foreign Pilot (IFP) Knowledge test. Please be aware of limitations and restrictions that come with this type of license as its original purpose was to allow foreign pilots to fly while visiting the USA.

Note 1:

The FAA 61.75 license allows you to fly an N-registered aircraft on the basis of your ICAO license.

Both your FAA and ICAO license need to be valid and current with the appropriate class/type rating.

A flight review is required with an FAA instructor is required before you can use the privileges of this license.

To obtain a FAA 61.75 or "piggyback", your ICAO license needs to be verified by the FAA as explained here. Contact me for more information on how to complete the whole process without the need to visit the US. Please be aware of the limitations and restrictions associated with this license.

Note 2:

If you want to add a rating or licence (ie PPL to CPL) on the basis of a "piggyback" 61.75 PPL, you will also need to complete the Licence verification process explained in Note 1, BEFORE scheduling your exam. The examiner will not start a test without a "Letter of Authenticity" which you receive after completing your foreign licence verification.

2. Standalone FAA PPL:

Requires you to complete the associated knowledge test and a minimum of 3 hours flight training with a FAA instructor to get the endorsements required before taking the practical test that the Americans call a "check ride". This consists of an oral and flight exam.

3. Standalone FAA CPL:

Requires you to posses one of the above and complete the Commercial Pilot Knowledge Test. Furthermore you have to complete a minimum of 3 hours with a FAA instructor to get the endorsements required before taking the practical test that the American call a "check ride". This consists of an oral and flight exam on a complex aircraft (retractable gear, variable pitch prop and flaps)

4. Standalone FAA ATP:

Only "check ride" required after meeting the FAA requirements to be eligible to take the practical test as explained here.

Use the following links to find the applicable FAA regulation and requirements for obtaining the associated licence and rating:

Most logged flight experience is acceptable to meet FAA requirements.

TSA Approval

To start training for all initial FAA licenses, IR's and Multi-engine Ratings, TSA approval is now mandatory.

TSA approval basically consists of a personal background check that the US government has implemented after the 9/11 attacks to screen US pilot training candidates.

As approved TSA flight training provider and fingerprint collector

IP Aviation can guide you through the whole process to start flight training as soon as possible.

BFR's, IPC's and differences training do not require approval.

TSA approval works as follows:

    1. Create a new student account and submit all required details on http://www.flightschoolcandidates.gov (The current fee for processing a TSA request is $130)
    2. The Flight Training Provider (ie IP Aviation) receives a training request which requires confirmation.
    3. Fingerprints need to be taken and submitted.
    4. Approval should be granted shortly afterwards.

TSA approval is specific to your chosen training provider so be careful before choosing who you like to train with to avoid additional costs and approvals.


To legally receive flight training on Non-EU registered aircraft in the UK you must obtain approval from the CAA if the instructor receives any form of payment.

The exact terms & conditions and the instructions to get your approval can be found here: CAA Approval

Important to note, that this includes "any flights with instructors to maintain the validity of the license" ie BFR/IPC's!!!

There are many legal implications of flying/training in a N-Registered aircraft in the UK.

It is therefore advisable your flight instructor holds both FAA and EASA licenses to comply fully with all applicable regulations before commencing training.

Please get in touch for more information